These are coasters ala Mary Engelbreit. My MIL is a fan, and has a cute set of dishes with ME designs on them. Mary Belle's birthday is next week, so I thought I would make and send her the parts of a larger present one at a time, especially so I could have more time to make each part. Next week: napkins. Sometime later (Christmas?): place mats in the same style as the coasters. This was my first time using the satin stitch for appliqueing, and I was pretty pleased with the results. I need to do some learning about how to get nice, crisp corners and straight sides on a turned project, however.
The other project was a "portfolio" using a design from the free patterns at Amy Butler's website. It is supposed to be... well, I'm not sure what it's supposed to actually be used for, now that I've made it. The pockets are small, and it's certainly not big enough to store anything like an actual art portfolio (for me, anyway). I added an inside file pocket, and I guess with that addition, it could be a journal/diary portfolio with pockets for ephemera... But, it turned out ugly and crooked, so I'm storing greeting cards in it since I didn't have a place to keep them before. I can almost see the possibilities for this portfolio, but I'd definitely need to modify it more. And cuter fabric would definitely help.
2 comments:
I am sure your MIL will be very pleased with her gifts--what a fun idea! Even though you're less-than-thrilled about the portfolio, I think that it's cute. I actually bought Amy Butler's "In Stitches" over the weekend if you'd ever like to borrow it.
HI Britton, I love my coasters and look forward to other ME treasures. You have a talent for putting together materials and colors in a unique way. Mary Belle
Post a Comment