Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garden Beautiful

....Our only carrot of the season (yes, it's supposed to be small and round)
and the first ear of red popcorn....


....tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes...


...eight foot tall sunflowers....


....more sunflowers (and the unproductive raspberries,
and the blackberry bush)

....and finally, this huge– and I mean pretty darn big– spider and her web.This was taken out front, and I couldn't get the camera to focuson the spider because there was no background close enough.This spider, in the position it's in in the photo, was easily thesize of the top knuckle-to-fingertip of my middle finger. With its legs stretched out, it would probably be and inch and a half in diameter. Its web was about 18 inches in diameter, and was anchored by webby strands that stretched another 18 inches to 2 feet beyond the web. My interest was particularly piqued by the still-wriggling sack of lunch the spider was guarding in the center of the web. I checked on it later and found that it had moved its lunch to a more secluded place to eat. This spider has become a small obsession for me; I looked in on it this morning as I was loading the kids up to take Rhys to preschool. I don't know where it was hidden, but I know I kind of want to keep tabs on it just so it doesn't find its way into the house or something...

No comments: