Here's a sample of the many variations of The Twelve Days After the Frost that Aaron's been singing for the last several days (to the tune, pretty obviously, of The Twelve Days of Christmas):
On the fifth day after frost, my dear wife brought for me
F-i-v-e green tomatoes!
A green tomato pie,
Fried green tomatoes,
Green tomato casserole,
And some green tomato enchilada sauce!
We're, um, inundated with green tomatoes. We pulled them the morning we left for our trip to Idaho because a frost was forecast, and while it did indeed frost, the couple of tomato plants left in the garden weathered it just fine. I estimate we picked around 30 pounds or so of green ones, and when we returned from the trip there were about 4 or 5 pounds that had ripened sufficiently, so we added those to the 5 pounds in the freezer. We also picked another 3 pounds of ripe red tomatoes tonight, another 3 pounds of yellowish tomatoes, and there are at least 3 more pound of green tomatoes on the vine. The green tomato enchilada sauce line in the song above comes from the 12 cups of sauce I made and froze this afternoon. I managed to give away at least 10 pounds of green tomatoes earlier today, and we're hoping to unload the 15 pounds in the next couple of days.
Any ideas for green tomatoes? I still have 6 or so pounds of the best of them...
No comments:
Post a Comment