Monday, June 30, 2008

Not Your Grandma's Doily

Actually, not mine, either.

I've inherited a bunch of hand crocheted, tatted, and machine-made lace and doilies from my great aunt Muriel. I'm very excited about them- I'm not sure others always understand why, especially when they look at me with a funny look on their faces. I'm just convinced that there are new things to do with all these wonderful handmade lacy pieces of fabric, and I am determined to use them. It's not usually fashionable nowadays to have little doilies sitting around the house, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of them floating around, stuffed in boxes, hidden in the back of drawers, or otherwise being stored all over the country, I'm sure. Some of us are unwilling to give up this craft of our foremothers due to sentimentality, and others just want to get rid of them and move on. And here is where I fit in: I'm trying make them useful again!

My newest projects:

A doily pillow.

Zippered doily pouches.


I'm already using one of the pouches as a wallet of sorts and I love it!

I should also note: I inherited some doilies, but they are currently still in Colorado at my parents' house. These doilies I picked up at a garage sale: a dozen for 50 cents. What a bargain!

No comments: