(and sometimes regretted saying)
So far today, each of my children has said back to me a commonly repeated household phrase, which I've then inwardly groaned about. "Household phrase" of course refers exclusively to our own household.
Scene One. Location: Outside on the back patio, sitting at the table. Characters: Alanna and myself. (Alanna has been great about offering to share recently, although whether or not she follows through with her offers has been a little unpredictable.)
Alanna: Mommy, do you want some raisins?
Me: No thank you, Alanna.
Alanna: Do you want some raisins?
Me: No, I don't want any right now, thank you.
Alanna: (After pausing to eat one raisin) But do you want a raisin, Mommy?
Me: No. Thank. You.
Alanna: Yes or no, Mommy.
Explanation:"You need to tell me yes or no" is the oft repeated phrase when small persons have not answered my question in a timely manner and I need to know... well, I need to know "yes" or "no".
Scene Two. Location: Sitting in the comfy chair with the laptop. Characters: Rhys and myself. (We were choosing a movie for Rhys to watch on the computer via Netflix while I worked in the kitchen.)
Me: Maybe you could watch this movie over by the kitchen so I could watch it too while I make strawberry jam?
Rhys: That's not gonna happen.
Me: What?!
Explanation: I get all sorts of crazy proposals and propositions throughout a typical day from small persons, especially Rhys. "That's not gonna happen" is my way to say, "Yeah, keep dreamin' buddy" because he doesn't quite understand sarcasm yet. But he will someday... and then think of the possibilities for phrases I'll regret later!
Note: It's only 1 pm. With bated breath I await the next household phrase to be repeated back to me.
1 comment:
Then, of course, there were the earlier examples of repeated choice phrases before mom & dad cleaned up their potty mouths...
Post a Comment