Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Flower Press

A million years ago, my darling daddy made me a flower press, which I have utilized off and on for... dear lord... probably 25 years (jeez.... Since when can I talk about anything I terms of multiple decades?). Anyway, the kids are really getting into collecting things on our hikes, so I dug the press out yet again for use in preserving leaves and flowers. There were some dried aspen leaves in it that must have been at least a few years old, but since I vaguely remember putting them in there, they must not be 10 or more years old. Even though they're a bit faded, I can see why I saved them: they have a remarkable mixture of green and red that rarely seen in a single leaf, even aspen.

So- we've got some leaves and flowers, squashed away in the press, up in Rhys's closet. I read not long ago that the best and proper way to press flowers is to put them in a press, or a big dictionary (which I've also done), stash it somewhere "safe" and promptly forget about the whole thing. Then when you find them after a while, it's a pleasant, unexpected surprise, which brings back memories and provides a good afternoon of entertainment. Any other method for pressing is absolutely

unsatisfactory. 

Works for me.

Rhys was pretty excited about it, so we sent this photo to my dad, along with Father's Day wishes, since after all, he was the one who enabled me to save so many memories starting so many years ago.

No comments: