Monday, April 18, 2011

Nourish the Whole Self

I completed a web workshop in March/April called Nourish the Whole Self. It focused on a 30 day vegan cleanse and included lots of information about health, food choices, personal peace and relationships, and recipes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although many participants decided to talk about their experiences on their blogs, I decided not to as it was more of a personal experience for me. I found out I am totally willing to go vegan, and I think Aaron would be willing to join in most of the time, but it's hard to keep the kids fed without cheese. And we like honey. I also found out I like eggs more than I thought I did, but as long as I have one every once in a while, I seem to fulfill that craving. We are functioning now mostly vegetarian with some dairy (cheese and a little yogurt and cottage cheese), a few eggs, and a little fish. We learned that Rhys loooves to eat wraps when he can choose what veggies he wants in them, and (I can't believe I didn't know this before) both kids eat better when I chop everything very small. There are some who claim that veganism is one of the healthiest things a person can do and the idea of meat and high amounts of protein are an out-dated notion. After the 30 days I am able to say I agree with that point of view, although we've gone the more moderate route with vegetarianism. I felt really good as a vegan.

One of my new favorite recipes is a Green Smoothie. I make one in the morning for breakfast and either Aaron drinks the leftover pint or I drink it as a snack in the afternoon.

Green Smoothie


Yield: One blender full yields about one quart plus one pint of smoothie.

Fill your blender jar three-quarters full with washed, torn green leaves (spinach, kale, swiss chard, or I've even added broccoli leaves or collards). Add a peeled banana on top, and a handful of blueberries (fresh or frozen), or half an apple, or pineapple, or an orange, or whatever other fruit you feel like. Fill the blender about 1/3 to 1/2  full with liquid- my favorite is almond milk, though juice is also tasty. In order to save money, I often do half of the liquid water and the other half almond milk or juice. Blend. Blend very well for a smooth smoothie.

I like mine on the thinner side so it's easier to drink (rather than of the thickness that would coat your upper lip). I've read others prefer having the fruit mostly of frozen varieties and less liquid so that it's more like a green milk-shake in thickness (and temperature).

I've been trying to get this kids into these smoothies, but with mixed results. Sometimes they'll drink some, and other times they won't even try. Maybe someday they'll like them!

I took a picture of a batch I made last week, but it was rather unappetizing- the kale and frozen blueberries resulted in a dark brown slurry-like smoothie that could turn the stomach. It tasted fine to me, but as I said, I like these green smoothies.

No comments: