Rhys has been wonderfully apologetic recently. I've asked him to start saying "I'm sorry!" to Alanna whenever he plays too rough and she starts crying or gets upset by his antics. He's learned I'm a lot more forgiving if I hear him say that than if he pretends like he wasn't involved (even when I witness the antics personally). Yesterday at the grocery store Rhys accidentally bumped into a man, but then kept jogging past him. To my surprise, he stopped a few feet later, turned back to the man, and loudly said, "I'm sorry!" then turned around and kept jogging. I was very proud of him.
Today, we had a little different exchange:
Me: I'm sorry I yell at you sometimes, Rhys. I get frustrated when I have to tell you the same things over and over.
Rhys: That's okay, Mommy. (Then a pretty significant pause.) I like to yell, too. I yell at Alanna, "No no nooooooo!"
I guess we all have our moments of frustration!
(I'd like to point out I was yelling earlier at Rhys because he decided to take a pants-free break for a while. He then informed me he peed on a blanket, which happened to be Alanna's bath towel that he had put on the bathroom floor. After my initial, "You did what? YOU DID WHAT!?!?" he told me I needed to "be happy, Mommy." I explained why it was difficult to be happy at that particular moment, but if he'd pee in the toilet in the future, I would be happy. "Sure," he replied.)
No comments:
Post a Comment